Tuesday, March 15, 2011

To Tenure or not...

There has been a lot of news lately about the tenure of teachers.  Does it create good or bad teachers?  One can find documentation in support of either pro or con.  New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is a proponent to remove teacher tenure. “Teaching can no longer be the only profession where you have no rewards for excellence, and no consequences for failure,” Gov. Christie told crowds earlier this year. I know I'm quoting a Republican.  Make no mistake, I can see both sides of the issue.  Perhaps there is some middle ground to protect teachers who might be ousted by over zealous school administrators to save the almighty dollar.  However, we all know or have had one bad teacher in our lives.  Nor do I believe a teacher should be let go based on a "bad" year.  Teachers will tell you classes differ from year to year; decade to decade.  But there must be a rubric developed to look at all aspects of teacher's ability to do their jobs to make an intelligent decision with regards to their continued positions.

Trisha Parks, a seventh-grade teacher at Cedar Park Middle School outside Portland with nearly 20 years experience, says the renewable contract system has worked for her.

“It keeps me accountable for my own learning,” Parks says. “It keeps me accountable for staying in top shape on the job. Doing the job, delivering the job. And then it keeps the principals accountable for measuring me.”

It would seem Oregon has come up with a evaluation system.

Does tenure provides too many ineffective teachers with job protection and makes firing bad teachers nearly impossible?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41956922/ns/nightly_news

next blog... learning styles

2 comments:

  1. I believe with Ms. Parks. We need accountability. I don't believe in tenure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should have been I "agree" with Ms. Parks.

    ReplyDelete